Forest School at Ashwicken
At Ashwicken CE Primary School, we are very fortunate to be surrounded by the natural beauty of Leziate wood. The children have plenty of opportunities each day to play and explore within the trees, building dens and creating games, using the natural materials they find.
We incorporate Forest Schools into our curriculum and have staff trained to Level 3 - Certificate for Forest School Leaders.
Advantages of Forest School
Government research suggests Forest Schools make a difference in the following ways:
- Confidence: children had the freedom, time and space to learn and demonstrate independence
- Social skills: children gained increased awareness of the consequences of their actions on peers through team activities such as sharing tools and participating in play
- Communication: language development was prompted by the children’s sensory experiences
- Motivation: the woodland tended to fascinate the children and they developed a keenness to participate and the ability to concentrate over longer periods of time
- Physical skills: these improvements were characterised by the development of physical stamina and gross and fine motor skills
- Knowledge and understanding: the children developed an interest in the natural surroundings and respect for the environment
Our Children Enjoying Forest School